Saturday 16 May 2015

Girl in New York


Oh boy, what a couple of weeks! I've finished university, visited two new countries, started writing a novel, checked items off my bucket list, turned 21, been labelled a 'dreamy, floaty princess' by a hippie... Inherited beautiful jewellery. Watched gorgeous sunsets at sea. Written a new short story. Travelled road, sea, and sky. I flew home on Sunday Morning to find we've a new princess (yay) and the same prime minister (boo).

I've always wanted to go to New York. So many of my favourite movies are set there - West Side Story, Frankie and Johnny, Serpico, Rosemary's Baby, Kramer vs Kramer, Dog Day Afternoon, Annie Hall, Barefoot in the Park... I could go on.

We flew in to JFK on Wednesday and, after spending forever in the line at immigration, headed to our hotel on Park Avenue. It was a really beautiful afternoon, and I was pretty excited to get out on the streets. I just wanted to feel New York, absorb its New Yorkness. I've dreamed of this city my whole life! 

One of the first things I noticed about Uptown Manhattan was that everyone looked like a fashion blogger. I've never seen so many well dressed men and women! And everyone was beautiful. We went for drinks in the sunshine around Bryant Park, and I felt so underdressed in my booties and paisley bell bottoms. 

We made the trip to Times Square, which I wasn't really interested in, and The View restaurant at the top of the Marriott Hotel. The restaurant revolves 360°, so you can take in the famous buildings and sights of the city, while enjoying a few cocktails.



I caught the Subway the next day to Bleecker St. I enjoyed a vegan blueberry muffin and organic coffee, and then wandered around East Village. It felt more 'authentic' and less touristy than uptown. We had a few drinks at Cooper's and I chatted to a local woman. The Baltimore riots had just spread to NYC, and she was bemoaning African-Americans who were "ungrateful for what they've already been given." It was pretty awkward.

In fact, I was surprised at how much open racism I saw. Even a black taxi driver admitted to my group that he didn't like black people and thought they were "trying to take over", and should "know their place." Of course, the majority of people we met were lovely.

Later, we ate at possibly the worst Chinese in New York! I have to say, though, I didn't have one decent dinner in the three days I was there. I think we made poor restaurant choices. We had awful Italian the night before, as well.




The third and last day was probably my favourite. I had the nicest salad at Just Salad in Macy's. It cost $20, but it had artichoke hearts and I got to sit in front of Joan Collins and her husband, so all was well. I took a walk with Becky, my brother's Godmother, to Central Park to see Strawberry Fields. I'm a huge Beatles fan, and it's something I've always wanted to see in person. 

As I got closer to the memorial, I was surprised at how uneasy I felt. In my three years in Liverpool, I've never felt as close to John as I did approaching the place he died. It felt like he was contained there, within the streets he loved so much. It made his horrible death feel real to me. It was deeply discomforting. However, when I got to the memorial itself, the atmosphere changed. A homeless man was singing Here Comes The Sun (shame it wasn't a John song) for the dozens of tourists who crowded around it. I gave him ten dollars. 

It was the most moving Beatles moment I've had - none of the endless nights at the Cavern Club, trips to Penny Lane, National Trust tours or visits to the Beatles Story museum have quite measured up. Perhaps I'm influenced by the name itself - Strawberry Fields Forever is my favourite Beatles song - but the real Strawberry Field in Liverpool is also one of my favourite places. The iconic red gates aren't even the original pair anymore, but I feel so at peace just standing by them. I love what John said -- "I have visions of Strawberry Fields... because Strawberry Fields is anywhere you want to go."

Anyway, let's step away from Liverpool and back to New York. Becky left me at the memorial to go meet up with the rest of the group for lunch. I decided to stay and walk around the park for a while. It really was very beautiful. I finally got my camera out! On my way back to the hotel, I decided to track down a Whole Foods and finally found one on East 57th. I was in vegan heaven! They even have freshly-made vegan baked goods! Americans have no idea how lucky they are to have supermarkets dedicated to healthy food!




I met the others a couple of hours later, after scoffing a pack of sesame tofu, one blueberry muffin, and one chocolate chip scone. Oops. Surprisingly, I didn't get lost. The grid system of avenues and intersecting numbered streets makes the city much more navigable, although I do find the winding, mish-mashed European streets charming. 

The group was going to a steakhouse, so my Mom took me to a vegan restaurant, Blossom Cafe. We had quite an ordeal getting there - the taxi driver dropped us off blocks away, in what appeared to us to be a ghetto! I'm pretty sure it wasn't, but it was scary for a couple of middle class Brits! I didn't like my lasagne, but she had a delicious rigatoni. I have the worst luck in restaurants! Something I noticed in the US eating establishments was that vegetarian dishes are scarcer than here in the UK, and are rarely marked as so on the menu with the little v symbol.

I only got to spend three days in New York, and I'd love more time there in the future. I'd like to see a play or a baseball game, visit flea markets, try out more vegan restaurants, go to a gig, and just walk the streets of New York. I'd like to go alone next time. I was quite enchanted! I wouldn't mind if they sorted out their public toilet system by then, though - the gaps around the doors are so large that you can literally see people on the toilet. Like, everyone can see you peeing as they walk past. What the fuck, America? 

Post a Comment

© poemstinkdream. Design by Fearne.